The Best Travel Tote Bags for Carrying All Your Essentials in Style
Totes might be the most underrated travel bag. You can toss everything in one roomy compartment: Think wallet, passport, phone, headphones, tablet, book, sweater, water bottle, snacks, and even a travel pillow. Plus, they're stylish without sacrificing utility, durability, or comfort.
We love the Cuyana Leather Zipper Tote. It's minimalistic, spacious, and lightweight. But if monochromatic leather isn't exactly your style, check out the other picks on our list. From canvas beach bags to sporty nylon options, you're sure to find something you like.
- Best Overall: Cuyana Leather Zipper Tote at Cuyana
- Best Packable: Baggu Cloud Tote at Nordstrom
- Best Monogrammable: Paravel Cabana Tote at Tour Paravel
- Best for Laptops: Ecosusi Laptop Tote Bag at Amazon
- Best Classic: Longchamp 'Large Le Pliage' Tote at Nordstrom
- Best Weekender: Lo & Sons Catalina Deluxe Tote at Lo & Sons
- Best Budget-friendly: L.L.Bean Waxed-Canvas Tote Bag at L.L.Bean
- Best Convertible: Madewell Leather Transport Tote at Madewell
- Best Splurge: Senreve Gemelli Tote at Senreve
- Best Water-resistant: Briggs & Riley Rhapsody Nylon Tote at Nordstrom
- Best Oversized: MZ Wallace Large Metro Quilted Tote at Bloomingdales
- Best Vegan: Street Level Reversible Tote at Nordstrom
- Best for Beach Days: L.L.Bean Boat and Tote Zip-top at L.L.Bean
T+L's Top Picks
Best Overall: Cuyana Leather Zipper Tote
Best Packable: Baggu Cloud Bag
Best Monogrammable: Paravel Cabana Tote
Best for Laptops: Ecosusi Laptop Tote Bag
Best Classic: Longchamp 'Large Le Pliage' Tote
Best Weekender: Lo & Sons Catalina Deluxe Tote
Best Budget-friendly: L.L.Bean Waxed-Canvas Tote Bag
Best Convertible: Madewell Leather Transport Tote
Best Splurge: Senreve Gemelli Tote
Best Water-resistant: Briggs & Riley Rhapsody Nylon Tote
Best Oversized: MZ Wallace Large Metro Quilted Tote
Best Vegan: Street Level Reversible Tote
Best for Beach Days: L.L.Bean Boat and Tote Zip-top
Tips for Buying Travel Totes
Choose the Right Materials
If you plan to use your tote as a plane carry-on only, virtually any durable fabric will do. However, if you're buying a bag with water activities in mind (like beach, boating, or pool days), absolutely consider a waterproof or water-resistant fabric like nylon, polyester, or vinyl. If you expect your bag to get dirty, or simply don't want it to, opt for a tote made of leather, vegan leather, or vinyl. These materials are the easiest to wipe clean and typically don't stain.
Prioritize Your Ideal Features
Every tote is made slightly differently. That's a good thing, considering every shopper's needs are different. If you're hoping to use your tote for travel, opt for one that has multiple compartments to organize all your essentials. Need a tote for commuting? Choose a bag with a zip or flap top closure to keep your items covered and secure. It's also wise to pick a tote made specifically for laptops if you think you'll be carrying yours. Look for ones that has a padded sleeve in the correct size — otherwise, your laptop may become damaged or not fit properly inside.
Why Trust Travel + Leisure
Travel + Leisure writers are shopping, fashion, and product experts who use personal experience and customer recommendations to choose the best items for shoppers. For this article, Rebecca Carhart, and Hillary Maglin researched dozens of travel totes and used their expertise as travel writers to curate the perfect list of tote bags for your next trip.
Love a great deal? Sign up for our T+L Recommends newsletter and we'll send you our favorite travel products each week.